The biggest “current” in my mind is the person I am currently worried about, my good friend and great Game AI developer Dave Mark. Dave is the founder of the GDC AI Summit … but was struck by a car leaving the last sessions at GDC, and still is in the hospital, seriously injured.
Dave is a really special person. I’ve been going to GDC longer than Dave, but it was he (along with my friend Neil Kirby) who drew me out of my shell and got me to participate in the Game AI community, which is a super important part of my life even though I don’t do Game AI for my day job.
Dave’s friends and family have set up a Go Fund Me to help cover his medical expenses and the travel and other expenses of his family while he remains in the hospital in the Bay Area. I encourage you all to help out – especially if you’ve ever played a game and found the AI especially clever.
Dave, you’re in our prayers …
Pictured: Dave (on the right) and friends.
SO! Hey! GDC and Clockwork Alchemy are over and I’m not dead! (A joke which actually I don’t find that funny given the circumstances, which I’ll dig into in just a moment). Strangely enough, hitting two back-to-back conferences, both of which you participate super heavily in, can take something out of your blog. Who knew?
But I need to get better at blogging, so I thought I’d try something new: a “check-in” in which I try to hit all the same points each time – what am I currently writing, editing, programming, etc? For example, I am currently:
- Listening To: Tomb Raider soundtrack (the original).
- Reading: Theoretical Neuroscience (book).
- Writing: “Death is a Game for the Young”, a novella in the Jeremiah Willstone multiverse.
- Editing: SPECTRAL IRON, Dakota Frost #4.
- Reviewing: SHATTERED SKY, Lunar Cycle #2 by David Colby.
- Researching: Neural Approaches to Universal Subgoaling.
- Programming: A toy DQN (Deep Q Network) to stretch my knowledge.
- Drawing: Steampunk girls with goggles.
- Planning: Camp Nanowrimo for April, ROOT USER, Cinnamon Frost #3.
- Taking on: Giving up alcohol for Lent.
- Dragging on: Doing my taxes.
- Spring Cleaning: The side office.
- Trying to Ignore: The huge pile of blogposts left over from GDC and CA.
- Caring For: My cat Lenora, suffering from cancer.
- Waiting For: My wife Sandi, returning from a business trip.
Whew, that’s a lot, and I don’t even think I got them all. Maybe I won’t try to write all of the same “currents” every time, but it was a useful exercise in “find something to blog about without immediately turning it into a huge project.”
But the biggest “current” in my mind is the person I am currently worried about, my good friend and great Game AI developer Dave Mark. Dave is the founder of the GDC AI Summit … but was struck by a car leaving the last sessions at GDC, and still is in the hospital, seriously injured.
More in a moment.
Pictured: Butterysmooooth sashimi at Izakaya Ginji in San Mateo from a few days ago, along with my “Currently Reading” book Theoretical Neuroscience open to the Linear Algebra appendix, when I was “Currently Researching” some technical details of the vector notation of quadratic forms by going through stacks and stacks of books, a question which would have been answered more easily if I had started by looking at the entry for quadratic forms in Wolfram’s MathWorld, had I only known at the start of my search that that was the name for math terms like xᵀWx.
Lots of great content …
… and this year I have pages and pages of notes!
Stay tuned …
… or check the talks out in a few weeks on the GDC Vault!