My doctoral work focused on how understanding context in human memory could improve intelligent information retrieval in machines:
While at Tech my research focused on context and its influence on memory, reasoning and behavior.
My thesis committee was:
- Dr. Ashwin Ram (computer science)
- Dr. Janet Kolodner (computer science)
- Dr. Kurt Eiselt (computer science)
- Dr. Ashok Goel (computer science)
- Dr. Nancy Nersessian (computer science, psychology, philosophy)
I conducted information retrieval research related to my doctoral work jointly at Georgia Tech and at Enkia Corporation, which was reported in the following publications:
Since then, I’ve learned a lot more about information retrieval, most of that while working in the Core Ranking group of Google’s Search Quality group, where I learned everything I thought I knew was wrong. CDSA is likely still a good idea, but I’d approach things far differently now – starting with a much, much larger retrieval corpus.